Protect Yourself from Cyber Crime
Holiday shopping is in full swing, and one thing seems clear - the Internet is playing a larger role than ever before. Cyber thieves are fully aware of this, which means they ramp up their efforts this time of year.
Here are some tips to protect you:
- Beware of Public Wi-Fi ~ this allows cyber theives to easily intercept personal information from unsuspecting customers who shop using public wi-fi/hot spots. When conducting online business that requires an account number, personal information, or passwords, it should be done from a secure connection.
- Watch out for Email Scans ~ this is the perfect time for crooks to scam via email. They promise cash rewards or unexpected tax refunds. Some claim to be contacting you regarding a recent purchase(s). Thieves use official sounding language to solicit personal information so they can "take care of this urgent matter in the timeliest manner possible" or "winnings will be deposited directly to your account".
- If an email states it's your financial institution and asks for your name, Social Security number, credit card number, account number, date of birth, phone number, etc, DO NOT RESPOND!!. In most circumstances, Bank of Delight has this information & will not ask you for this information via email. If we do not have the information updated, you will talk directly to a bank employee.
- If an unknown email includes an link, DO NOT CLICK on the link!! Cyber thieves use links with malware embedded that is designed to download to your computer and used to steal personal information.
- If something seems too good to be true, it probably is a scam!!
Creating STRONG Passwords is essential to protecting yourself. Strong passwords use combinations of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters. Do not use the same password for multiple logins. Strong passwords are memorized not written down for someone to steal.
We thank you for choosing Bank of Delight. If you need any assistance or have questions, please stop by and visit or contact us at (870) 379-2293 or (870) 887-2661.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year